Thursday, July 15, 2010

Lessons from Proverbs

I am taking a break from Thankful Thursday today because I want to share with you what I am learning in Proverbs. So our Bible Study challenge for July is to read a chapter from Proverbs each day. We chose Proverbs because there are 31 chapters and 31 days in July. Anyways, the challenge was not so that we spend a huge amount of time, but that we make the commitment to do it every day.

So as I was reading the first few chapters I was getting lost in all of them. Things were running together and I was losing focus as I read, I found it difficult to remember what I was reading. To help this I decided to keep a journal and each day write down the verse that spoke to me the most from the chapter. Some chapters have more than one that I really liked and others it was a challenge to find one that applied, but here are some of my favorites.

Proverbs 15:33 The fear of the Lord teaches a man wisdom and humility comes before honor.

Proverbs 8:11 For wisdom is more precious than rubies and nothing you desire can compare with her

Proverbs 2:8 For He guards the course of the just and protects the way of His faithful ones.

Proverbs 11:13 A gossip betrays confidence but a trustworthy man keeps a secret.

Proverbs 14:30 A heart at peace gives life to the body, but envy rots the bones

And my all time favorite Proverb so far…..

Proverbs 4:13 Above all else, guard your heart for it is the wellspring of life.

Proverbs 4:13 was my favorite verse when I was single and dating, it was a constant reminder that God wanted to protect me, but I had to protect myself as well. That I could not let my heart and my emotions go before the truth. I had not thought of that verse in so long, it has been 5 years since I have met Jon, and gave him my heart. He does a wonderful job of still guarding my heart and keeping my feeling in check, today more than ever.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment